Frances FORD

Born at Littlehampton in Sussex in 1754. Her parents were Richard FORD, a mariner possibly from Findon, and Mary.
She married Peter LEGGATT at Steyning, in Sussex in 1776. He had been previously married.
She later married John CAWTHORN around 1785 and they had three children, one daughter dying in infancy.
Her daughter Frances emigrated to Van Diemen's Land on Adamante in 1816 with her husband Richard BARKER and 3 sons as free settlers.
The following year, Frances arrived in Hobart Town on Cochin with Lieutenant-Governor SORELL and his children. They had travelled to Port Jackson on Sir William Bensley.
In 1818, her son John Henry CAWTHORN, and her nephew John FORD also arrived as free settlers.
She received a grant of 200 acres of land on the southern side of the Derwent, upstream from Bridgewater, on which Richard Barker built a two-story brick cottage. It later became an inn, then a haunted house and was demolished around 1940.
Frances died at Macquarie Plains in 1831 and was buried at New Norfolk.

No comments: